The tale of ESN Split started in 2012., as a group of local students started their journey
of supporting international students who chose Split as a place for their international
Each semester, around 200-250 students select Split as a new
chapter of their lives. Our aim is to introduce them to our lovely city and attract more
and more students each semester. Furthermore, our volunteers are highly dedicated to
promotion of international mobility through Erasmus+ and other programmes. Since
2019, University of Split is a part of the SEA-EU Alliance (European University of the
Seas), along with University of Cadiz, Université de Bretagne Occidentale, University
of Gdánsk, University of Malta and University of Kiel, with our volunteers actively
participating in promoting the initiative and working on the student council.
Our section consists of approximately 60 student volunteers from different faculties
of the University of Split. The recruitment process is held at the beginning of each
semester, but students are always free to contact us and join our ESN family. In case
you are interested in joining ESN Split, you can contact us via Facebook, Instagram, or
email at [email protected] and [email protected].
The section is divided into smaller teams and each team has a specific area of interest.
Active members choose among themselves one person to lead the following teams:
- Event (current coordinator: Franka Vitezica)
- Communication (current coordinator: Ana Maroš)
- Travel (current coordinator: Bepo Radić)
- Social Inclusion (current coordinator: /)
- Health and Well-being (current coordinator: Alen Đidelija)
- Project (current coordinator: Karmen Svalina)
- Intercultural Exchange and Mobility Event (current coordinator: Jelana Špika)
- Human Resources (current coordinator: Denis Marušić)
- Partnership (current coordinator: Karmen Kunčić)
- Buddy (current coordinator: /)
In 2022/23, Local Board of ESN Split consists of:
Renato Šikić as President
Danijela Bilonić as Vice-President
Sara Braovac as Treasurer
Both active and passive members can be a part of a project called The Buddy System.
This is a special part of every ESN section, as a buddy is a local student that provides
help to incoming international students prior and during their international
exchange in Split. They help out with paperwork, getting around or anything else
international students might need. Every incoming student has the right to apply for a
Buddy. Upon students’ arrival to Split, they are introduced to the Campus, their
Buddies, and they are provided with all the necessary information regarding their stay
in their host city. Any inquires about this can be asked at [email protected].
During their stay, Erasmus students are engaged in a plethora of activities organised
by ESN Split that meets them with a historical background of the city centre, beautiful
islands in the region, breath-taking coast, and blue sea that is mentioned all around the
world. Besides visiting islands, exploring the Mediterranean culture and National
Parks, they can be a part of events such as pub quizzes, National Evenings, Language
Tandem, and many others.
Some of the project the section has participated in are Europska Cooltura, Edukacijom
do karijere and Kultura je važna. Besides that, we have written projects and gotten
support from the City of Split, the Student Center and University of Split.
Our work throughout the years was recognised by the ESN AISBL through these
- Section in the Spotlight award - Network Committee (2016)
- Movin’ Europe Activity of the Month (2016)
- MEekend award - with ESN Zagreb (2017)
- 1st place for SeCoSTAR: Section Cooperation with ESN Zagreb (2018)
- 3rd place for careerSTAR: Employ Your Skills (2018)
ESN Split has won 5 STARawards at the National Platform of ESN Croatia held in May
- Best Culture Event for Culture Workshops
- Best Social Inclusion Event for the tournament with the homeless people
- VisibilitySTAR because we had the most posts, reportage and guest appearances in the media.
- Best Awareness Campaign for the Forum Theatre
- Best Lockdown Practice for our cooking workshops on Instagram
There is also one more award we got very recently, which makes us just as proud as the others: ESN Alumni Award - for the outstanding work supporting international students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
National events organised by ESN Split so far:
- 6th National Platform of ESN Croatia (2015)
- 13th National Platform of ESN Croatia (2018)
- 3rd Local Boards Meeting (2019)
- 19th National Platform of ESN Croatia (2021)
... and we also organised the first ever Local Platform of ESN Split in December 2018! ESN Split was the first to start a Local platform in 2018. The whole event is created to highlight the local ESN community, on its strengthening and connecting the Local Board, coordinators, new and old members. The event consists of presentations, workshops, discussions, reports from the state and international level and mini team building. The event has received very positive feedback from members of the local ESN section and the members have expressed a desire for it to be maintained on a regular basis. Each segment of the Local Platform has space for members questions, comments, constructive criticisms and suggestions for future work. After the event and socializing for 2 days we believe that there is increased motivation, desire for progress and intimacy, and knowledge itself among the members of the association at the local level and we will certainly continue to maintain this event 1-2 times a year. For now, we have had four local platforms, one in 2018 and one in 2019 and two in 2021. Besides the Local Platform, ESN Split has organized 3 Local Section Trainings in 2021.
Our Communication team is constantly working on promoting the section and improving our Instagram profile and Facebook page, both of which you are invited to follow on the following links:
ESN Split is here to guide you through the discovery of Split, an amazing town filled with vibrant people, beautiful scenery, a mixture of traditional and modern, all of which make it a perfect place for your Erasmus stay!